My husband was craving for Tava Pulao that we get in a restaurant chain called ‘Honest’. It is super famous here in Gujarat. Honest is in almost every city in Gujarat but sadly not here where we live. So I decided to replicate the dish at home and it turned out 99% like the one we get in Honest. And honestly, my husband was very impressed. It’s a super quick dish if you have some leftover boiled Basmati Rice. Just make sure that the rice you use is at room temperature. If you use hot rice, you end up with a mess. I’ve used Pav Bhaji Powder in the recipe. I’m sure you’ll find it in any Indian Market. However if you can’t find it, replace it with Garam Masala Powder. Here’s the recipe for my version of Tava Pulao.
- 2 cups boiled Basmati Rice
- ¾ cups par boiled Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, French Beans, Green Peas)
- ½ tbsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped Green Chili
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste
- ¼ cup finely Chopped Onion
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- ¾ tsp. Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Pav Bhaji Powder (Substitute: 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder)
- Salt to Taste
- Heat Clarified Butter in a Pan.
- Add the Cumin Seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add the Green Chili and sauté for half a minute.
- Add Onion and cook until it turns soft.
- Add the Ginger Paste and cook for a minute.
- Now add the Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Salt and Pav Bhaji Powder and mix well.
- Add the Vegetables and keep tossing for a minute and a half.
- Add the Rice and mixing gently for 3-4 minutes. While doing so, make sure you don’t crush the rice. So be gentle.
- Finally add the Chopped Coriander Leaves and mix gently and take it off the heat.