Lemon Rice is a very popular South Indian dish. What makes it so tasty is the nutty flavor of the peanuts and cashews mixed with the tanginess from the lemon. They work so great together. It’s traditionally a breakfast dish but is perfect for lunch and dinner as well. It gets done within five minutes if you have left over rice. This is one of the simplest rice recipes that add color and flavor into plain boring rice. Here’s my version of Lemon Rice. Enjoy!!
- 2 cups Boiled Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp. Clarified Butter or Oil
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp. Asafetida
- 7-8 Cashews split into halves
- 4 tbsp. Peanuts
- 1 tsp. Split Black Gram (Optional)
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Salt to Taste
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- Heat Clarified Butter in a Pan.
- Add the Mustard Seeds and split Black Gram and allow them to crackle.
- Add Peanuts and Cashews and sauté for half a minute.
- Add Asafetida and Green Chilies.
- Now Add the curry Leaves.
- Add in the Turmeric Powder, Rice and Salt and toss gently.
- Add the Lemon Juice and Chopped Coriander Leaves and Toss again.